Saturday 5 November 2011

OPINION: Charity Collections at Schools

I'm sure the following is a scenario familiar to households up and down the country each November:

Yesterday, my daughter, Olivia (aged 5) asked me if she could have some money to take into school next week because they were selling poppies.

Now, it's true, I do have an issue with the British Legion's red poppy appeal but that isn't my major gripe with the situation.




I asked Olivia what she knew about the poppies or what the money donated was used for. I'm sure you know her response. She knew virtually nothing and what she did know was sufficiently vague as to be meaningless.

But, despite that, her teacher was asking her for money to buy a poppy.

Doesn't this amount to theft?

Now I do think there is a particular issue with the British Legion's red poppy; very few charity badges are sold through schools and it is rare for schools to be asking for money for something that isn't part if a bigger charitable fundraising campaign, but surely, if any charity is to be promoted in school it should be fully explained to the pupils what the charity is, why the appeal is happening, what the money is used for and then, rather than a verbal message, a letter should be sent home explaining why the school is involved with that charity?

I find it deeply offensive that my daughter was asked for money for something she doesn't understand and which hasn't been explained to her properly.

Maybe it's best that schools stop charity fundraising? Certainly the sale of poppies and other lapel badges in class, and all the pressure and expectation that carries, should be outlawed - as far as I can see it is not far from mugging a 5-year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment