Friday 16 January 2009

Gym buddies....

I went to the gym at 9 a.m. straight after doing the school run. I thought it best to do it straigh away so there was no risk of keep putting it off.... just one more gon on dots, see the next TV show, after lunch, etc.

As I walked the walk on the treadmill, attempted to be co-ordinated on the cross-trainer and pedaled on the bikes yesterday I looked around at the other half dozen people also working out. A strange mixture, not the typical "gym crowd" I've seen at other gyms (no hulking adonises showing off their pecs, or bimbos exercising without sweating).

I started on the treadmill (did half an hour and watched happily as the counter told me how many calories I had used). Before I arrived there was someone on the treadmill pounding away. A small middle-aged woman. Totally focused. Step. Step. Step. On a huge incline. She had no earphones in and wasn't watching the small individual television screen that each machine has but she was oblivious to the rest of the world, totally focused. I did my half hour on the treadmill and she was still going for it, power-walking up a steep hill.

There was one very large woman moving very slowly on the cross-trainer. I'm not sure that moving that slowly was really giving any benefit - but maybe it was. She smiled at some of the others and greeted or said goodbye to one or two.

There was a rather elderly gentleman who, like the woman on the cross-trainer, moved very slowly. He said hello and asked how long I had to do on each machine. I explained I was still finding my way and hadn't decided yet. He was doing 30 minutes on the treadmill but I fear he might only have walked about half a mile in that time.

There was a guy, probably in his 50s, who was large but in proportion except for a huge belly sticking out. It looked, sorry to say, like a pregnancy or a medicine ball had been put up his top.

Circulating was the gym instructor/supervisor - she kept an eye on things and made friendly noises to anyone who made eye contact.

The hour passed very quickly and I felt good at the end. Now what I need to do is get into the habit of coming, so I intend to return tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment