Monday 24 October 2011

TOP 10: Utopian Movies

Yesterday I posted my Top 10 Dystopian Movies, as a result of which I was challenged to come up with a Top 10 Utopian Movies by @ppmw.

It's much harder than I expected.

I guess the main problem is that there aren't many - after all, how much drama is there in a world where everything is wonderful?

Consequently, I've come up with a Top 10 that has a Utopia, of sorts, for a sizeable chunk of the movie or people trying to create a Utopia.

I hope that's not stretching the rules of the challenge too much, Paul!

Here are my Top 10 Utopian movies.

1. The Truman Show (one of my all-time favourite movies!)

2. Lost Horizon

3. Logan's Run Some will argue to it being more dystopia than utopia..

4. Things To Come

5. The Wizard Of Oz

6. Fahrenheit 451 - another utopia/dystopia crossover!

7. The Mosquito Coast

8. Pleasantville

9. Camelot

10. The Time Machine

What have I missed?

Which movies would you suggest?

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you adapting the 'challenge'.
    I had Truman Show and Lost Horizon in mind when I suggested the fiendish challenge.

    I see you sneaked Logan's Run into this list!

    How about...
    Robots
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
    or the 1st film I saw at a cinema when it was released in 1967
    Doctor Dolittle (Rex Harrison)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, great suggestions.

    I guess musicals may give a lot of possibilities for utopian ideals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I (1962) hate musicals...with three exceptions Dr Dolittle (1967), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) and Oliver(1968).

    when you say musicals give a lot of possibilities for utopian ideals I picture the barn raising scene in 7 Brides for 7 Seven Brothers. - in reality some wouldn't be talking to each other, it would be raining and half the timber wouldn't have been delivered (with Kevin McCloud in the foreground saying - they are over budget and need to make it weatherproof by Christmas)

    Note to self - that is quite enough coffee for one day

    ReplyDelete